Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hunger for Right

Matthew 5:6 "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled."

     This verse struck as I was working on my Miracle Morning Ministries Face Book page. I began asking myself, "What do I REALLY hunger for?" Here is a question we need to all take a moment and ask of ourselves.  When a person is hungry for food then the stomach begins to hurt and it doesn't stop until it's filled.

     Hunger is used as an illustration for a GREAT desire. I have found myself hungering for more family time, more sleep, more money, more time, more food, etc. however I have found that these physical things only leave me hungry again and for more, never satisfied. While the things on my list is not in and of themselves sinful, they can easily become that way if I hunger for them MORE than God and righteousness. Those who hunger, have a great desire, for righteousness will find true, complete fulfilment. Hunger drives you toward what you hunger after, so pause and ask, "Do I hunger after things in this world, or do I truly hunger after righteousness?"

     I have found, to my disgrace, that I have hungered more for food or rest more than God. This verse has struck me hard. I will be pondering and asking myself what I hunger for. If I hunger after righteousness, then I will not eat too much, because I know that overeating is gluttony and a sin. If I eat too much I have then taken my focus from God and placed it on food. I do walk away with good news this morning, the scale said I lost 2 pounds!! PRAISE GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment