Friday, September 17, 2010

The First Sin

Genesis 2:17-18 - "17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die . 18 And the LORD God said , It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."

Genesis 3:6 "And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."


     I was preaching a series about sin not long ago at my church. As I did I came across something that pointed out that the first sin was EATING wrong! I know that it was a representation of more, but why were Adam and Eve tempted by food? Satan could have tempted them in countless ways. I also wondered why the one rule God did give them had to do with food. I believe that eating right and making right choices about food is more important than many people give it credit. Making the right choice about food and what is eaten is more than simply a physical choice, it is indeed spiritual.

     Many times, while I know that choices affect me both physically and spiritually, my reasoning goes out the window when the time comes to choose. Adam and Eve faced the same temptations as I do today. They just couldn't say "no" to food they knew was going to hurt them. My temptation yesterday was FRENCH FRIES. We made them ourselves. Did we bake them? No, We DEEP FRIED them. I ate too much of them yesterday and the results were NOT good today. 

     My emotions sometimes plays tricks on me. Yesterday Holly asked me what I was irritated about. I told her that there was no reason for me to be irritable but I was and it was very frustrating - welcome to Holly's life! So what did I do to calm myself? I did what any red blooded American would do - I headed to the refrigerator. While many would stop... I didn't. I headed straight to the sweet stuff and satisfied myself . Then it hit me like a ton truck full of bricks... shame, more frustration, more irritation, even a little sorrow at what I had done. This is what I face day in and day out. Being a glutton is a terrible sin. A glutton is addicted to food, something necessary to live, yet the greatest test of self control. A glutton fails this test. Please understand I am NOT depressed today, more like...determined. I will brush off my failures REPENT of my gluttony and head off today for a day of victory. Satan does not like it when people expose a tactic he uses on so many people to keep them defeated in their Christian walk; he will fight against this blog and anyone who tries to expose him for who he really is - a LIAR! 

     My temptations have gotten stronger since I have begun this blog, but at the same time I know prayers are being said for me and I am praying for you as well. I also know that God's strength is greater than ANY temptation you or I will face. Today is another day and I am armored up, ready for war!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment